Engineering Material Selection
Novotel Hotel, Bandung | Oct 4 – 7, 2010 | Rp.7.250.000,- per participant
BACKGROUND & OBJECTIVES
It is the responsibility of the end users to select the right materials for the right purpose. However, there are huge varieties of engineering materials that have been manufactured by so many mill-shops. Every material as well as manufacturer offers advantages of their materials with regards to mechanical & physical properties, corrosion resistance, and even offering a very good technological performance. Failure to select proper materials will shorten their lifetime and in turn will reduce the company profits due to lost of equipment and or valuable production time.
The course is intended to provide know-how in dealing with materials selection from huge varieties of materials available in the market. This 5-days course offers participants to understand the map of engineering materials availability, understand the material properties, to characterize materials, to understand concept of selecting engineering materials suitable for typical loading and atmosphere conditions. The course will also discuss about the available international standard for engineering materials.
There will be a special session for actual practice in the laboratory. The participants will have a chance to physically carry out some mechanical testing in the laboratory, to do material analysis by means of optical as well as electron microscopy, reviewing material standards applicable for oil and gas industries, fertilizer, petrochemical industries, steel industries, automotive and transportation industries.
FEATURING THE FOLLOWING DETAIL COURSE OUTLINE
1. The Map of Engineering Material Classification Related to Their Services
- Base on its function on: stationary equipment; rotating equipment; piping and tubing
- Base on their service conditions against:
- o Mechanical loads: static; dynamic; and impact loads
- o Service temperature: high; near room; cryogenic temperature
- o Degree of corrosiveness: CO2; H2S; H2SO4; Halides
2. Basic Theory of Engineering Materials Related to Their Applications
- Effect of chemical composition
- Phase diagrams and phase transformation
- Mechanical & heat treatment and their effect on material properties
- Micro structure analysis
3. Material Properties and Their Significant Use In Service
- Mechanical properties: tensile strength; yield strength; fatigue strength; rupture strength; elongation; hardness; toughness; wear & abrasive resistance
- Physical properties: thermal & electrical properties; specific heat; melting point
- Chemical properties: corrosion resistance
- Technological properties: weld ability; cast ability; formability; machine-ability
4. Common Engineering Materials Used in Industries
- Iron and carbon steel
- Low and high alloy steel
- Cast iron
- Copper and its alloy
- Aluminum and its alloy
- Nickel and its alloy
- Titanium and its alloy
- Cobalt and its alloy
5. The Important of Material and Component Standards; ASTM; ASME; SAE; API; UNS; JIS; DIN
6. The Concept of Material Selection Base On:
- Strength for static; dynamic; and impact loading
- Service temperature
- Degree of Corrosiveness of the atmosphere
- Abrasive conditions
7. Production Processes of Some Raw Products
- Piping and tubing
8. Case Study of Some Material Selections in
- Oil and Gas industries
- Fertilizer and Petro-Chemical industries
- Mining industries
- Automotive and Transportation industries
9. Trip to laboratory to practice mechanical testing and materials analysis
DR. Ir. Husaini Ardy
DR. Ir. Husaini Ardy is a lecturer at Mechanical Engineering ITB. He received his bachelor degree in 1984 and Master degree in 1987 degree from Mechanical Engineering of ITB. He continued to study in the field of Material Engineering at Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA, in 1994 he completed his Ph.D. degree. He has been involving in material selections and mechanical component failure analysis for the industries in Indonesia.
DR. Husaini regularly conduct seminars for the industries for both public and in-house in Indonesia. In a team, he has successfully handled the following projects:
- Failure analysis some engineering components at oil and gas companies (TOTALFINA-ELF, BP-ARCO, VICO, CPI, CONOCO, KONDUR, ARUN NGL, EXXONMOBIL); fertilizer companies (PUSRI, KUJANG, PKT); petrochemical companies (PETROGRES); automotive and transportation companies (PTKAI, FEDERAL, GARUDA Airline, Merpati Nusantara Airline).
- Material selections for line pipe, flow lines, and down hole tubing in some oil and gas companies
- Materials verification, testing and assessment in Mobil Oil and ARCO.
- Materials failure analysis and assessment for CONOCO.
- Corrosion mitigation for gas industries.
Oct 4 – 7, 2010
Novotel Hotel, Bandung
Rp.7.250.000,- per participant, excluding accommodation & tax.